Steeper Energy’s proprietary technology Hydrofaction™ uses ‘super critical’ chemistry to transform low-energy density organic feedstocks into valuable high-energy density products.
Benefits of Hydrofaction™
Hydrofaction™ can economically convert a variety of low-value organic feedstocks, from non-food biomass through to peat and lignite coal, into liquid fuels.
This can also offer local energy security and/or international export opportunities.
Hydrofaction™ also has many other benefits over conventional and non-conventional oil production:
- High thermal efficiency – no energy used to dry feedstocks prior to conversion.
- Feedstock flexibility – including organic waste, biomass, manures, peat as well as low-grade coals like lignite.
- Product flexibility – as produced, Hydrofaction™ Oil is similar to marine diesel oil and can be upgraded all the way to transport-quality fuels, bio-chemicals and lubricants.
- Water footprint – conserves all water within the system cleaned to irrigation or potable standards.
- Carbon footprint – CO2 produced from the reaction can be captured and sold as a liquid.
- Efficient Capital Deployment -Hydrofaction™ is competitive with other unconventional petroleum options including Oil Sands, Heavy Oil and Shale Oil.
- Competitive – Depending on the feedstock source, production costs including depreciation allowance are competitive with other industry players.
This video shows the transition of water to supercritical state (Note the transition when temperature exceeds 370 degree celsius).